Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Honeymoon is Over

I've always wondered why clothing designers didn't cut their clothes larger so that women would be forced to buy a smaller size. Talk about brand loyalty. I don't know many people who wouldn't be drawn to a specific brand if the size on the tag was at least one size smaller than all the other pairs of jeans, shorts, skirts, etc. in their closet. The ego boost of a smaller number on the tag is really unbelievable, even if it doesn't happen very often.

Maybe Bonnie, my Honeymoon Tank, was trying to give me an ego boost. I measured myself, measured my swatch, adjusted the pattern, frogged it and adjusted it again and even though she measures right when flat, as you can see, she's a little big on me. I guess she's just trying to make me feel better about turning 30. I'm guessing it's the weight of the cotton I used that didn't allow it to drape like it should and instead she is a little saggy. I tried to block some of that out of her, but it really didn't help much. You live you learn I guess.



I'm not going to frog her. I'll be able to wear her around the house, outside while tending to my flowers and maybe to the pool. I don't think she'll become a staple in my wardrobe. I do think I will actually make a size smaller in a sweater than I think I should if she is supposed to be close fitting.

I'll apply this concept to Orangina, who I'm going to start while we're on vacation next week. I really like the way it looks and based on some of the results the girls at the Sexy Knitters Club have had with this pattern, I think this will look awesome in black. They did this as a KAL in April and I really like the finished product. I'm on the search for the right yarn and I hope I'm successful before we get on the plane on Wednesday night. Knitting with cotton really hurts my hands, but Orangina is also made of cotton, so maybe the soreness is just making my hands stronger.

Until then, I'll keep plugging away on my Somewhat Cowl. The back and forth knitting is so slow, but I know it will pick up once I join the round. But, for a little instant gratification, I made this little cosmetics pouch for my purse last night. Easy and it only took a couple of hours to finish.

No comments: