Sunday, June 19, 2005

One Purse Wrapped Up

I still do not have the yarn for my wrap, so it's safe to say that I won't have the wrap complete for my trip to Boston. We leave a week from Tuesday, so I doubt that the yarn will come in and I'll have the time to work on it prior to our departure. Much like you, I'd like to support my new LYS, but it is frustrating to know that I could have ordered the same yarn online and had it in just a few days. It's been two weeks. Oh, well. I'm going to take your suggestion and work on a swatch with some cotton yarn I have to prepare to work on the wrap. Maybe by September it will be ready!

My interim project was the SOHO Purse from one of my new books, Bags, A Knitter's Dozen. You can wear it in three different ways. I thought is was a fun casual purse for the summer. I'm always wanting something to just throw my keys and id in for a day out. I just bought some kitchen cotton, which worked pretty well. It may not have longevity, but I can say the same for 90% of the purses I own - no matter what they are made of.

Things I learned while completing this little bag: 1) how to complete a three-needle bind off; 2) how to sew in a zipper in a knitted piece; 3) why you should allow for major stretch of the i-cord strap when you have things in the bag - I over shot this by a lot. I'll probably redo the cord on this one.

Here's a look at the finished product.:









I'm not sure if I'll do another one of these bags. A couple of people I've shown it to have been less than thrilled with the look of the bag. I guess it's a little to hippy or crunchy for them. I still want to knit one with a flap that folds over like a messenger bag.

No comments: