Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Let's Make Something Happen

I'm not as positive of a person as I want to be. I want to be positive. I really do, but I'm more of a realist. You know, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst kind of outlook on life. But today, I sat next to a very positive businessman who let you know he planned to rub some of that positive energy off on every person he talked to on the phone.

I was sitting at a B&N while a colleague finished up a business meeting before we went to the airport and the positive businessman sat down at the table in the cafe next to me. At first I thought he was talking to someone he knew when he answered his phone "Joey Brown, Let's Make Something Happen." How many people answer the phone with a rally cry? While I thought this was a one time fluke, he proved me wrong by answering the phone 25 or more times over the next two hours the exact same way, sometimes asking someone to hold and picking up call waiting on the other line this exact way. So here's what I figure:

1. He has great self-esteem
2. He truly believes his product/service can make things happen. What that product/service is, I have no idea. I never heard him say. Obviously a soft sale kind of guy.

I attempted to "make something happen" with my Clapotis on the flight today. I'm slowly but surly getting there. It took me about 30 minutes to figure out where I was in the pattern, but I got things back on track and did a couple of the straight row repeats. I hope to be starting on the fourth section by the return trip home.

No comments: