Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Olympic Non-participant

There were many more watchers of the Olympics than participants, right? Well, at least I'm using that to justify my position of not knitting in the Olympics. I am still working on the vest from Dazzling Knits that I posted a few weeks ago. I don't take it on the road with me so my knitting is limited to only my days at home, lately that has been all too few. I'm getting ready to finish it though as it looks as if I will be staying at home with Grandmother Duty for 3 days one week and 5 days the following week later this month. I'll post when that is finished. I'm also still working on the Body Wrap by Catherine Lowe. It is 4 large triangles of which 2 are completed and the 3rd is on the needles.

This body wrap may be my never ending project. I decided to opt for the kit when I realized that I could spend almost as much money picking out yarn only to get a second rate product. The yarn is finger weight silk, wool and mohair. The dying is fabulous so the color is very even. I couldn't get her gauge with the size 6 needles and dropped to size 4s. This is hurting my hands, but at least it is on target with gauge. The funny thing is that I had a lot of yarn left over when I had completed the required number of rows and stitches, so I changed the sizing to a total of 423 stitches instead of the 375. I do like the density of the fabric better than if I had used the size 6 needles, even if it takes more stitches to get to the measurements. It's all a matter of taste, right, but its a LOT of stitches that I would have to frog and a lot of re-knitting I would have to do if it doesn't turn out right.

Your Olympic Socks are great! You live in a climate where you can wear the socks with clogs or sandals all winter. Have you tried to knit any socks with Cascade Fixation? The yarn is great for socks, although a little larger yarn than sock yarn. The yarn has some elastic spun into the fiber so it stretches. Makes a great fitting sock that doesn't bag or stretch out of shape. They have wonderful colors and great colorways in the yarn. Try this web site http://cascadeyarns.com/cascade-fixation.asp It is inexpensive, costs less than $5.00 a ball and requires only 2 balls to make a pair of socks. I get one sock with less than one ball, but will start the second sock with the second ball to avoid having to start the second ball halfway through the second sock.
When I first returned to knitting a few years ago I did a google search on knitting. I found a plethora of web sites with hand knitted socks. After spending a few hours online looking at a lot of the posts, I decided I must be the only person in the world not knitting socks, so I had to try my hand at them. I've made a few pairs, they make great gifts (where else is the recipient going to get a pair of hand knit socks) but aren't too practical for my climate. I have a friend who is an outdoor person and loves the socks with her boots. Not for me...How can I be outside, wearing boots and knitting. Just doesn't fit. I do wear them with my Berkinstocks in the fall and spring. They always get someone's attention, giving me what we all like, a chance to say, "Thanks, I knit them."

So maybe in 2 years during the summer Olympics I'll knit something, at least I can deram of what I would like to do. How about a summer cardigan, cotton, white, lacey??? I've got plenty of time to think about that one.

I like your choices in tops and can completely understand that pacing oneself with knitting is impossible. Maybe even an oxymoron, Pacing and Knitting, totally incompatible. I truely believe the saying, so much yarn, so little time.

No comments: